MENU...Order's Up!

And How!

Tuesday, January 21

Sundance 2014: Camp X-Ray


I didn't get to post this last night but I loved Camp X-Ray. It was written and directed by Peter Sattler. He's a graphic designer who has worked on a number of movies, including Walk the Line. This is his second writer/ director film.  

He did an amazing job at breaking down the barriers between the soldiers at Guantanamo Bay and the detainees that resided there. It was a look into another side of a very controversial subject in America.He put a human face on a subject many fear. He also included a lot of parallels that I thought were brilliant. To me, this was the biggest reach that grabbed that could have impacted the viewers. Sattler achieved the message he was trying to achieve, very loudly, at that.

Kristen Stewart is not one of my favorite actors but she did a better job in this movie. I was actually impressed by her performance. I felt as though I was right there next to her, cheering her on. I wanted her character to be strong and stand her ground. Sattler gave Stewart a chance to step into a role that proves promising to her career.

Peyman Maadi played his part as the detainee in a way that was both comical and heart wrenching. I wanted to know more about his back story but it was vaguely mentioned. I've never seen anything he has played in so I have little to compare with but I did find his performance very convincing. His acting space was mostly confined to a tiny cell and a narrow window to look out but he was the center of attention. Everyday he waited for Stewart's character to arrive for her shift and in turn I was excited when it was his turn on screen.

I would love to see this movie again. I did, however, find it hard at time to follow certain parts. The sound was terrible and I could hear more background sound than the actors speaking their line. There were also parts of the movie, I felt, could have been left out because they weren't really relevant to the message Sattler was trying to deliver but overall it was a good movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!
Please, tell me what you thought!